Thursday, April 11, 2013

Archetypos

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/100-must-read-books-the-essential-mans-library/

A fellow bookman shared this list with me the other day. I've never been too concerned with exuding manliness (I can grow a full beard in 156.4 seconds) but I do like a good list of "must read" books. I didn't bother reading the commentary I just soaked in the selections. As far as I can tell the selections include men at war, men surviving nature, and men creating positions of political and social influence. In large part, men seeking to inflict a will upon persons, environments or ideas. I own and cherish many of the titles. My sentiments have little to do with "gender identity." I like a good story about an individual's pursuit for truth.

I was driving my son to preschool the other day and I think I had Onerepublic leading in the mix. Liam wanted me to switch the song to "the one about Jesus dying on the cross." I don't have that song in my vehicle (I don't even know what song he was thinking of), but what I did have in the rotation was B.B. King singing a hymn. I skipped over to this blues rendition of "Take My Hand Precious Lord." Cue the organ. Liam says "I don't like this." I said to give it a second. "What's this song about, Dad?" "Well, it is about holding Jesus's hand and letting him guide you." He asks, "Is this Jesus singing?" I chuckled and told him it was B.B. King like that meant anything to him. "Is this Jesus's language?" My son asks a lot of questions. "No buddy, this is English. Jesus's language was Aramaic." He repeats the word a few times to commit it to memory. Who knows when or how he will use this piece of information but I know he wants to remember for some specific reason. The song ends and I put on "Good Times, Bad Times" by Led Zeppelin. I had to get him a riff off Jimmy's guitar before he headed into school. I always assume everyone needs a little psyching up and to quote the bard Kanye "Every superhero needs his theme music."

So I drop the boy off. Robert Plant echoing in my head "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man. Now I've reached that age I try to do all those things the best I can." Yes, I was deriving insight from a man who donned a unitard with a swoop neck. If you haven't noticed by now I think a lot about being a father. It is one of the responsibilities in life I have taken seriously. What am I teaching him with my words and my actions? He's a fearless kid. I love that about him. I didn't teach him that. It is something I simply get to enjoy. He has an insatiable curiosity. This is something we share only he externalize his curiosities more than I do. So let's get back to his request for the song about Jesus dying on the cross.

All arguments of Jesus's divinity aside, historically, he was an influential guy. A guy who is difficult by any standard or definition of "manliness" to emulate. He didn't fight any wars. He didn't seek any elections. He didn't try to win friends. I'm sure Jon Krakauer could have written a thrilling account of Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness, but any elemental conquest would have missed the point. As I was saying, Jesus is difficult to emulate because he submitted his will. Choose whatever modern day method of execution you like and picture someone who helped people and taught about God saying as his last words "It is perfected." Roll credits. People are going to start throwing popcorn at the screen! Wait, that's how it ends? That's not what happens to the hero!

What just happened? I hope my son continues to ask that question. "Realize, sweet babe, we ain't never gonna part."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home